Thursday, July 28, 2016

The Corporate World

Have you ever worked for a company that didn't care about anything but making a DOLLAR? I understand that when you start a business the goal is to bring in an income and most people who start businesses do it so that they can be financially well off so I am not mad at that. However the thing that pisses me off  the most about some of these companies is that they don't care about their employees. The employees are the ones making that company function daily so owners need to understand that without those employees their business wouldn't be as successful as it is. I feel most of them think they are only doing us a favor by giving us jobs but it works both ways. Its a give and take on both ends.

I worked for a company as a hairstylist, when I first got hired I explained to them that I had a knee injury so I couldn't work long hours and I couldn't work multiple days stacked back to back. I was completely honest and they told me that it wouldn't be an issue but a few month later they started making me work 10 hour shifts, they started making me work 10-14 days in a row without a day off. It got really bad and my knee would swell and if I asked for a day off to rest it or asked to go home a few hours early to rest it they said no. At one point I sent them a picture of my right leg swollen 2 times the normal size and asked if I could stay home because I couldn't put pressure on it and they told  me that if I didn't come in I would be fired. So, lets just say I worked that shift in severe pain and my client had to catch me because I literally fell on him. I love doing hair and it is my passion so I don't want to give it up and I shouldn't have too. My whole point of being honest and upfront about my knee was so I can still do what I love without suffering in pain everyday but that didn't work. I had to make a choice between my health and my career so I left.

I just feel that if you have an employee who works hard, has great customer service and love what they do why not accommodate them. I also remember being with this same company in 2011 when 2 tornadoes hit in one day while I was at work. The windows were shaking and all kinds of stuff was flying around so we called the GM to let her know that we were having a tornado but she seemed more concerned about that damn dollar! When asked if we could go home she replied "NO." and I had to stay. I never felt so low in my life because I had no way of knowing whether my husband and kids were OK all I knew was I chose work over them because I didn't want to lose my job. Thank god we all were safe because if not I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself.

I understand as an employer and employee the goal is MONEY but that doesn't mean you can treat your team like they are robots. You as the owner need to make sure your team is well taken care of so that they can preform to the best of their abilities. It is a team effort for sure and it starts with the CAPTAIN. Owners remember where you came from and understand that your employees are vital to your company and that you need them just as much as you THINK they need you!

No comments:

Post a Comment